CHIMAYO, N.M. (AP) — The state forestry department says the Chimayo fire was ignited when a property owner’s son was using battery jumper cables. Investigators determined the jumper cables were lying on the ground and set dry plants on fire when the cables arced.
Authorities have not issued any citations.
The New Mexico State Forestry Division said Sunday’s forced residents to flee some mobile homes and some homes along Highway 91 in northern New Mexico. But officials lifted the evacuation order after crews worked on hot spots and smoldering trees.
At one point officials said about 100 homes were threatened.